Monday, February 5, 2007

February Already?

February Already I guess so, crazy. The month of January flew by, with adjusting to our permanent sites, getting into as much of a rhythm as we can at school, and determining where exactly we are and understanding our surroundings, I think I speak for most PCVs when I say that we all are surprised by the arrival of February. Things have been great at school, finally getting used to the students and vice versa. I teach 5-6, 40 minute periods a day, and thoroughly enjoy all of them. I am really looking forward to getting my life skills classes up and running. I only see them once a week, but I really feel like I could have a big impact on those classes. So far the only topic we have covered is WHO should be responsible for teaching learners about HIV/AIDS? We had some interesting issues brought up, in fact, one of my classes didn’t even mention parents when asked who they thought should teach HIV/AIDS awareness. I let it go and continued the debate about who they thought should teach it, among the choices provided were teachers, organizations, and doctors. After our debate concluded, I pointed their attention the fact that not one of the 35 or so learners suggested parents should be responsible for educating their children. We didn’t have time to hash this issue out further, but it was very interesting to me, and some of the learners as well, I think/hope.


On Friday I also concluded my first week long computer class. My plan is to take 15 learners, 3/computer, and run a week long crash course to the computer. I spend no time on structure of the computer or hardware of the computer; I go right into an online tutorial on how to click and double click. I first typed the directions about how to go to this website, though directing them to open this file caused the first problem. Handouts with clear directions was a big thing my ‘test class’ suggested, though I don’t know how much of a possibility that is without a printer/copier. I’ll figure something out. Just another challenge. I have also noticed that the learners here don’t have that innate video game intuition that young American students have. I feel that young American students view the computer as a more complex video game, and it’s just another thing for them to figure out. Here, with the lack of access to video games, the learners do not have that same confidence. Therefore, it takes much encouragement and assurance to give them the confidence to begin to explore. Also, to be able to explore, you must know how to close windows, switch from various windows, click, double click. They reached the “exploring stage” by Thursday and from there on, I was basically there to answer questions. I gave them a way to vague task, so I think this week I will give them a sort of internet treasure hunt. And for those that care…you know who you are…Guinness, they are Goggling and using firefox and I hope to teach some advanced learners tabs. Maybe even the alt-tab combo to switch windows (try it, hold alt then press tab with it….nice right?). It’s really crazy to teach how to click and double click, and with the language barrier it’s really interesting, ha. Also really wild to see what they search, I had to stop two google searches for Sadam execution, no joke. They are obsessed with him here. I actually got referred to as Sadam by a passerby on a bike in my shopping town last week. I asked my teachers here, they said it was because of my beard, which, for those of you that care….you know who you are…..is getting back in trail form. Also, at the end of the last class of the day, had a learner ask me “What color was Jesus?” I was of course caught off guard (these kids never ask questions so getting this loaded one was…..well, yeah). I said “Well I do not [I try to teach all day without using conjunction. Try talking for a whole day without conjunctions, its tough] know. Why do you ask?” And it eventually came out that I look like Jesus, ha. In case you don’t know, this is not the first I have gotten this. I got it in model school, along with another PCV, Tall Paul (he is in a picture on this site I think, that’s the Jesus picture). Even some other PCVs brought this to my attention when, during model school, I had a good 10 learners, all pretty small, surround me in one big circle as we walked to school. It was funny.


I found out last week that I am member of the VAC, the volunteer action committee….I think? Guess I should really make sure that is what it is. Ha. I have my first meeting in less than two weeks, so I am interested to learn what exactly I will be doing. From what I have heard, it is a volunteer run committee designed to be the voice of your regions’ PCVs to PC Namibia. Living conditions, secondary project problems/questions, scheduling issues, basically anything that effects my region in general. I am not sure this is exactly the right spot for me but I am going to give it a try. The director of all of Peace Corps will also be at this meeting, so I may get a chance to meet him, which is cool.


Tonight is the super bowl, I tried to get the bar with the DSTV to stay open so I could wake up and watch it, but its not going to happen.


Leah is great, she is now nearly one week from the beginning of staging, so she is getting very excited. Her training is going to be a bit different than mine. Hers will be 3 months instead of 2, and will begin with immediately moving in with host families, something that is very common in most Peace Corps training programs. I have hopefully been a good resource for her, but if I have noticed one thing, its that the experience one has in Peace Corps varies greatly from person to person, let alone country to country. I will be very excited to hear how her experience differs from mine.


I am going to try to post some pictures of my place soon….so stay tuned.


Hope all is well, life in Namibia is good.


Keith


ps, elise’s mom, she says hello…


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited to read all your updates Keith! Glad you sound so happy - this will really challenge your teaching skills as you have to anticipate so much due to the lack of experiences and language. Getting so excited for Leah -we'll miss her! We are all experiencing this through both of you - make the most of the experience!
Momma G.