Thursday, February 22, 2007

Positively not Negative/ Karate / Beard me?

A quick post after an interesting day of teaching. After now nearly a week of teaching how to add and subtract negative numbers, I had a learner ask me...”Sir, which is bigger, a negative or a positive number?” Needless to say that didn't make me feel like Namibia's most valuable teacher (I considered writing MVT, but decided not to). It's very difficult because while there are those that don't know that a negative number is always less than a positive one, there are others who are bored sick of the topic, and understand it! I am wrestling with that right now. I have brought the idea to group the classes by ability, which I know is not always the right thing to do, but I really think it would help all involved in the education process. The range of levels in each class is just too big, and their would still be various levels in an ability grouped class (The argument against is that the students learn the best when they get it from their peers). I have the support of most of the staff, it is just going to be a logistical nightmare to reshuffle the classes, the likes of which I will not bore you with here.

Otherwise, I am ok. I have been running a fair amount now. I actually had a kid come up to me and said he saw me running; “Sir, are you training for Kung Fu or Karate?” I said neither, just to relax. ha. “Making exercise,” as they call it here, is an activity I am thoroughly enjoying.

We had some good rain last night, and overcast weather today so maybe more rain is coming. I have a new found meaning for the words that I sang for many a year....”I bless the rains down in Africa.” I hear them every time it rains, and it definitely is true.

Been eating decent. Had some fried green tomatoes to kick off the week, and feasted on french toast last night. My neighbor also gave me some guavas that I am excited to try tonight. The kids are definitely interested to see how I cook. Don't know if it is because I am a male or American, but most likely a combination of both.

News of site visits and reconnect is starting to emerge from PC Namibia which is exciting. Crazy that the date for reconnect is already set (April 23-29).

Have heard from Leah's madre, she is well, enjoying life in the Dominican Republic. I am anxiously awaiting the first contact from her, but also have confidence that she is having a great time.

Pretty relaxing weekend coming of nothing but soccer, planning, reading and sleeping. Looking forward to it. Enjoy your Thursday and Friday.

p.s. Thinking about trying to raise money for my school through something I can do...really well. Would anybody out there be interested in pledging money for every day I grow my beard???? You could pledge by the day, week, month, or in a lump some. All the money would benefit my school or any number of worthy causes I am working with over here. If you pledge by the day, please keep in mind I could grow a beard for a long time. I would post a picture of myself every week, so you could keep track of how it looks. I could maybe get others PCVs involved as well. For my fellow beard grower out there, “it'll evolve.” Just comment or email me, if you know my email, if you would be interested in this. Thanks.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Keif! It sounds like you're having an amazing experience there... I'm jealous and also proud to know someone who's making such a difference. I visited JMU this week - it misses you terribly! Keep having the time of your life and posting all of it for us to see.

much love from the Big Apple, USA
-Nevsky

jonah said...

hey keith, its jonah. i do work with my fraternity on viral fund raising and other related issues. you may want to check out 'non-profit badges'. here are two examples;

http://www.carebadges.com/index.php
https://www.networkforgood.org/pca/PcaLandingPage.aspx?SOURCE=SIXDEG&CMPGN=SCB

Peace Corps may already have charity badges set up, not sure.