Thursday, March 1, 2007

Taste the Rainbow

(Yes, I think I would kill for some Skittles)

Hello all, nothing too new to report, life is pretty good. A few highlights are as follows:


---Visit from my APCD (associate peace corps director) and other PC people. They were doing their first site visits. They met me at school, right after my computer class had let out. We spoke of how things are going, if I feel comfortable and safe here, and what type of work/projects I am currently working on or have in the pipeline. Then we made a visit to my house for them to see that everything was OK. It is, though my APCD jokingly said she was going to tell our health director that I didn't have my mosquito net up. Malaria here I come (I do have a screen on my window, don't worry mom).

---I attended a wedding last Saturday and a birthday party this past Tuesday. Both were very interesting and fun. The wedding, as with most, was an all day process. Church for 1.5 hours, then the brides' homestead for 4 hours then the grooms for roughly 2. A long day. I got the VIP treatment; eating and toasting with the bridal party. Pretty traditional party food; potato salad, goat, beef, cool drinks. The birthday party was one of the most formal I have ever been, complete with a program, master of ceremonies, opening remarks and prayer, hymns, and a speech. The party was for a former colleague at Ombuumbuu so all the staff went. We stayed out late, 10:30 on a school night, but it was a good time. The ride home was easily the highlight. Riding with 11 Africans in the back of a backie (see the Namlish Guide recently added in the Links Section) under partly cloudy skies with the moon reflecting off of the trees; it was beautiful. I usually have a few of those moments a week/day/hour that remind me of exactly how unique and amazing this experience is.

---Rain....got some

---Learners coming around on the idea of negative numbers and the operations associated with them.

---hearing from the Goodwoman. She is great, loving life in the hot and humid DR. She even went to the beach! Needless to say, quite a different life than I currently lead.

There are others, I am sure. Hope all is well, enjoy the rest of the week and weekend!

Keith

1 comment:

EVA said...

Pretty rough when you see Skittles in the rainbow!! I'm sure they'll fit in the next package nicely. Loved the Guide to Namblish--we had better brush up before Dec. I'll bet the learners are having fun surfing the web--anxious to hear. Talk to you tomorrow. Love you