Monday, March 5, 2007

Goat Slaughter, Read at own Risk (Not too many details)

Goat Slaughter, Read at own Risk (Not too many details) Great weekend! Among other things, witnessed (and heavily documented [email/comment with your email, if you would like pics/video (YouTube???)]) my first goat slaughter. It was very interesting to watch. They slit the goats’ throat so it’s not most the cleanliness thing to watch. It was very interesting to see how exactly they did it. The guys who did it were very skilled, I asked one how many he thought he had done in his life, “Oh not too many, maybe 50.” Based on his skills with a fairly dull knife and a machete, I am guessing 50 was a very rough and underestimated figure. Another volunteer took the fur, pelt?, and is hoping to dry and tan it for a rug, ha. This is the same volunteer, Jeremy, who wanted a sand floor for his corrugated tin kitchen, who took it upon himself to experiment with cooking frogs during the seasonal harvest and who I plan to spend many hikes with. Africans let nothing go to waste, nothing. I am not totally sure that the intestines were cooked, but I have a strong feeling they were. I also saw small pieces of raw stomach being eaten. Wild. I did not partake; I have tried it, cooked, and it’s a bit too tough and chewy, though it is considered very nice among Namibians. Fired it on the braii and feasted. Goat is an acquired taste and I can say that after a few interesting experiences with it, my taste for goat is coming. It’s not the regular, but many PCVs have purchased a goat, N$300-500, had it slaughtered, and had meat on hand for the next month. I am not quite at that stage but who knows, it’s early in my service. Hope this kicks off your Monday nicely!

Some new pics on the Flipbook

2 comments:

EVA said...

Grandpa Hogue will be proud of you witnessing your first butchering experience!! So how do I check it out on YouTube? Grammie has another package on the way with COFFEE! Isn't she the best!! Love you

Unknown said...

keith... you went to africa to butcher a goat!? dude, we could have done that in my backyard with some cutco and some 40z!


sounds like you are having a great time man... never come back! just kidding


serisouly dont come back...