Sunday, March 11, 2007

Marula Festival

Yesterday was spent at the annual Marula Festival. This is a huge festival aimed to honor and support the culture of the Ovambo; Kadafi, my roommate, told me 5000 people would be there and my neighbor said at least 40 cattle were slaughtered so yeah, a big event. Arrived at about 10:30, just in time to hear some opening remarks and sing the national anthem, everything of any importance begins with a prayer and the national anthem, even school. Welcoming remarks continued for a while, this is when I received my latest sunburn on my face, the worst by far since I have been in Africa; 'my face is paining' as I would say here. Once the speeches were over, it was time to eat. I again got the VIP treatment and headed into the headman's homestead to enjoy the best goat I have had so far and some fresh liver. After mingling a bit, we decided to head out. As we were leaving, there were many people waiting at the exit of the homestead for something so we decided to join. After about 30 minutes, the former president, Sam Nujoma, walked right out with his posse, joined in some singing and dancing a Tate kulu (grandfather) was doing to honor him, and hopped in his Land Rover and headed out. It was great. I was roughly 10 feet from the first president of Namibia. The current president was supposed to be at the event as well, but some recent flooding in the Caprivi Strip caused his absence. Shortly after Mr. Nujoma left, the King of Oshindonga, one of the seven tribes that make up the Oshiwambo tribe, walked out and hopped in his Land Rover. Pretty cool. Ill try to get some pictures up soon. I realize that I don't give many details...I guess things are starting to become normal to me and thus not worth reporting. Ill try to work on that...haha. Taking down the flipbook, didn't like it. Peace

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What you are saying is that when I got out of my car, you were not impressed? Was it because i could not dance as well as the President? You are having beef, goat and a few bottles of beer while Leah is having ants mixed in with the cereal. Rough life. Just kidding of course - I have been reading all long just never wrote because of this Gmail account stops me at times. Hi tech is not my thing. Other than the sunburn and unshaven beard, you sound great. I am sure that you are the best math teacher in the area. Keep the kids engaged - you are teaching the next UN ambassador. Love the pictures. I assume that the pictures are of the garden. Does anyone think you are crazy yet? Stay out of the sun. Enjoy.