Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Just call me Johnny Friggen Appleseed

I have broken ground on a garden! After my recent goat slaughtering experience, observing the life science classes plant their gardens, and the strong urge to have fresh food, I have begun my own garden. I say my own, but I have had much help from the local kids and my learners. Yesterday I dug a trench and placed my chicken wire in it, along with 7 posts. Filled in the trench gradually as we pulled the wire taught. That was enough work for yesterday, considering we did it twice because the first time is wasnn't quite tight enough. I had the learners bring in manour from their homes today and that provided me enough to fertilize my soil. I spent today turning the ground over, mixing in the manour in all of my five beds. I have sowed maize, lettuce and sunflower (which I hope will do really well here....considering). In my other two beds I plan to plant tomatoes (risky with the cold season sometimes getting to the freezing point over night, but I am giving it a go) and carrots, both of which I planted in small seed beds I made out of an empty jar of applesauce and tomato paste, ironically enough. There is an ongoing battle with myself that the fence is not high enough; many are telling me that the goats can jump over and the cows will lean over and eat my crops. I am gonna let is ride for now. I figure there are enough kids running around the keep the animals out....who knows.

RedBeardtheGreenThumb

No comments: