Thursday, March 29, 2007

Packages, Falls, Party!

A quick update....

I have received two packages from home. So great; books, a new cds (country, which I have found I cannot listen to over here cause it makes me miss home), koolaid mix, Gatorade mix, skittles, gobbstoppers, some of that old school popcorn you cook over the stove or fire (gonna be over the fire), an AT calender, magazines, gold fish, Pringles (which exploded all over, but were good). It was like Christmas. Thanks for thinking of me...it is amazing how such little things like knowing the amount of calories are in items, instead of joules, can remind you of home.

The schedule coming up is pretty exciting. We have this full week of school, which is now pretty much over, then a four day week next week. We have Good Friday off as well as the Monday following Easter. That Tuesday, end of term exams start. I feel I have been going much slower than many of the teachers, so I was happy to hear that for this exam I get to make my own test. For the end of term exams for term 2 and 3, they are set by the circuit office....which I am not looking forward to. We have school/marking till the 20th, then from there I head down to Windhoek for RECONNECT, which you may realize I am kinda excited for. It will be amazing to be able to talk to other volunteers and confirm some of the crazy thoughts that go through your head as a volunteer. Overall, I think a huge part of talking with volunteers is just boosting your confidence and realizing that this is a tough job and you are not alone. In addition, though I have been seeing people a fair amount, maybe once every two weeks, there are many that I haven't seen since January when we swore in. It will be great to see everybody.

I realize that many of you may not know the details of Ruacana Falls. Here they are:

-Its about 25k from me, and maybe a 10 dollar hike (hitch-hike) for me to get there.
-Its beautiful. You can hike to the very bottom of the falls and enjoy the mist (which is like rain at the bottom) and swim looking directly up at the huge waterfall in front of you. It is amazing.
-the Hippo Pools camp site is down stream from the falls. It is within walking distance (a relative term) to the falls. There are many sites right on the river. Apparently you can see hippos from the camp sites. In addition, swimming is at your own risk because of crocodiles.......
-the waterfalls are dam controlled so it soon will stop falling. The hydroelectric plant there is the biggest producer of electricity in Namibia, hence I have electricity.
-about 50k on a bad dirt road and you get to Kunene River Lodge, and Epupa Falls, both supposed to be even more amazing than Ruacana. That is next on the list hopefully.


Spoke with the goodwoman yesterday for the first time since she has been in country. She sounds good. I practiced my Spanish....kinda (yo necesito hablar Leah) and it worked. A N$20 phone card bought me about 3 minutes from here to the DR. Amazing though that I can call that far and talk without a delay. She is having one of her lessons observed by the training director on Thursday so that is the big event going on for her now, in addition to..oh yeah, living in the DR.....

We have a farewell party this weekend for two of the teachers here. They are accepting promotions in other school districts. It is kind of discouraging because teaching here is viewed as a transitional career, people basically put in their time and move on. It is not too common to find teachers teaching because they enjoy teaching....however, we do have 2 of those kind of teachers at my school....so maybe it is common...I dunno. Anyway, two teachers are leaving. The staff is also taking this chance to officially welcome me. So it will be a big party. Goat, beer, cool drinks (soft drinks/pop/soda/cola), potato salad; all the ingredients for a good time. I may even be the one to slaughter the goat, who knows. Bout all for now, its hot, and I hear the 'rainy' season is just bout over....what rainy season??? All you over there making the globe a hotter place, just think of the Africans who are hot enough already....enjoy the week....

Oshili nawa

No comments: